Tuesday 9 March 2021

Dave Carson's Called by Cthulhu: The Eldritch Art of Dave Carson

 

Yesterday I received my copy from amazon of Dave Carson's magnum opus, Called by Cthulhu, which contains probably all of his artwork for the past 50 years or more, much of it in the Lovecraftian Mythos vein for which he is so well known. In fact, a framed A3 print of Dave Carson's depicting H. P. Lovecraft is proudly hung on my office wall (see below).

Measuring 10 x 6 3/4 inches and 384 pages long, Called by Cthulhu is a large soft cover book with hundreds of Dave's distinctively styled black and white pictures, including, I was pleased to find, the illustration I commissioned from him for issue 1 of Beyond magazine which I edited and published in 1995 for Karl Edward Wagner's story Gremlin. It was one of the last stories Karl ever wrote and sadly wasn't published until after his untimely death. 

This is an excellent book, and I am pleased to see Dave Carson's work collected like this. My copy now sits alongside books of John Stewart and Jim Pitts on my bookshelf where it rightfully belongs.

 






Dave Carson's illustration for Gremlin by Karl Edward Wagner


No comments:

Post a Comment